Welcome to my blog today. Its been a busy few weeks as we attended the Queensland Garden Expo and then Splendour in the grass festival. Its interesting when I go out and talk with people at events and see what their health needs are and how we all address our wellness in different ways. here are my top tips for staying well right now in the second half of winter! Lots of people have been getting sick and its great to help with our herbals. the cough , cold and flu relief has been super helpful and so has our Upper respiratory and sinus blend. If you want some herbs please either come to our free clinics or contact us to assist you. Enjoy my tips…
Dom’s top tips for wellness in wintertime
- What are you drinking? Take a look at your liquid intake and change it up to an immune boosting and digestive balancing intake. The herbal teas to drink are echinacea, olive leaf, peppermint, turmeric, ginger and lemon juice. These herbs all add to your wintertime wellness by keeping your body strong and your digestion in good balance. Make my favourite hot lemon and honey drink to keep your body hydrated and to help strip away excess mucous in the digestive tract and in your organs. This also reduces your chances of getting allergies and upper respiratory illnesses.
- Cut down on the nurturing wintery starchy foods now before spring time and give your body a good chance to loose excess weight gained in the first part of winter. We build up old putrid foods in our digestive tract and often winter is when we gain weight from nurturing foods. Cut them out now. Turn your diet into a lighter version by reducing the carbs and the feel good foods. This is done by eating fresh fruits and vegetables as the main stay in your diet and reducing the temptation of foods you know are adding weight and body fat. Let go of the excess weight now and reduce your toxic load!
- Commit to. cleanse now! Yes commit to a wintertime cleanse now by either going on a soup cleanse one day a week, or water fast. Water fasting is very good to do one full day a week if you have already become a seasoned detoxer. Otherwise make up a big pot of your favourite vegetable based soup that is low in starches and high in wintery greens, brassicas and loaded with garlic and onions. Eat this soup exclusively one day a week or more and enjoy a warm wintertime cleanse to reduce congestion and allow your body a digestive rest. Keeping your body lighter with digestion reduces your risk factors for seasonal illness.
- Take your good supplements… to me these are spirulina, vitamin C and my herbs. Herbs for this time of the year are immune modulators , so we are looking at echinacea, cats claw, astragalus, Ganoderma mushroom as a daily tonic. keep your immunity strong as there are loads of viruses around at the moment and its best to avoid them as much as possible. Keep your diet nutrient dense and calorie controlled. Taking the extra supplements will help alkalise the body ( spirulina) and boost antioxidants ( Vit C)
- Cut sugar out as much as possible... sugar reduces your immunity by up to 10%. So if you want a weakened immunity having refined sugar in your diet is a great way to get sick. Cut out processed foods and trans fatty acids too. These are all contributors to lowered immunity and we want to have a strong immunity for this last part of winter. Oh, did I mention that alcohol such as wine and beer is full of sugar?
Look after yourselves well. Its only another month of the cold weather and then we are warming up again.
We have our next Long Table Wellness Day this coming Sunday the 29th July. Theres room for a few more people if you want to join us and have a fun day where we are focusing on making herbal medicines for skin care including pain relief, rashes, bruises, excess and other conditions the group want to focus on. Includes lunch and herbal elixirs.
Contact us 0409765033 to book or online Wellness workshops with Dom
Our facebook pages are Dominique Livkamal and Medicineroom http://www.facebook.com/dominiquelivkamal
On instagram we are medicine_room
Check out our awesome herbal skin balms, oils and nectars online. We love making these for you and if you are out and about we will be at Eumundi Markets on Saturday. We are also offering our Herbal Body Therapy in Caloundra each week. Love and light.
Have a great day
Love and light Dominique Livkamal
MHlth public health/health promotion Bch Hlth Sc/ Complimentary medicine ND, Nutritionist, herbalist . Adv Dip Nat. Dip Journ. Kundalini yoga teacher, Zen Thai Shiatsu, student of life and wellness advocate. Founder Medicineroom. High vibes on the mountain, herbal first aid services and programmer for Woodford Folk Festival…. always working with love, gratefulness, light and through the divine grace!